Monday, December 04, 2006

Introducing the Team: Nathalie Poelman

The Congo Vision Trip team consists of four members: Senior Pastor Martin Schlomer, Elder Board chair Cal Kierum, and members Linda McCoy and Nathalie Poelman. We have asked each to submit a photo and write an introductory blog about who they are and why they are planning on traveling to the Congo next summer. Let's start with Nathalie!

Nathalie Poelman

My name is Nathalie Poelman, and I am a mother of three. Our oldest son, Jonathan, is a freshman at Western Washington University, and he is working toward a business or communication degree. Our son Jimmy is a High School sophomore, and he would like to become a surgeon someday and practice in a third world country. Our little one, Sophie, is in Kindergarten, and she wants to be a cow girl!

I am married to a wonderful man, Hank, that God brought into my life 8 years ago. I was a single mom working two jobs here and there for years, and I am thankful that God has given me the opportunity to be a full-time mother again.

I was not a Christian when I meet Hank, but even then felt God’s calling to find a church where we lived in California. God led us to the First Christian Church in Newberry Park, where we took a newcomers Sunday school class and other classes that followed. I realized how much I needed God in my life and how much of His guidance I had missed all these years. It was a blessing to witness God’s work through some wonderful people in that church, and Jonathan, Jimmy and I were baptized there before we moved to Washington State.

We searched for several months in Puyallup to find a church that felt like home. I remember the first time we came to Elim. Pastor Martin greeted us at the door, and everyone was so nice and welcoming. This nice lady came to us and asked all our names because she wanted to be able to remember us next Sunday. Her name was Ariel. She has since moved to a church closer to her family, and I miss her a lot.

Elim has become my church home, my sanctuary. A place where I know the door is always open if I need spiritual guidance, encouragement or a kick in the behind. I realize that it’s not always easy to follow in God’s ways. I need to work hard every day to become spiritually healthy and become more like God.

The first time I was approached about the vision mission to the Congo I was very excited, and I said yes with no hesitation. I knew in my heart that it is what God wanted me to do! God gave his life for me because he loves me, and I want to go to the Congo to share how precious God is, and to tell others about God’s unconditional and powerful love.

It’s scary to go out of your safety zone, but didn’t God do it to share the Gospel with us? He even gave His Son’s life for us. I know that going to the Congo will mature and strengthen me in my relationship with Him.

All of us have a vision for our children to grow, be healthy and to live in God’s will. I want this same vision for the Congolese children and their families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home