Sunday, December 31, 2006

Introducing the Team: Linda McCoy

The Congo Vision Trip team consists of four members: Senior Pastor Martin Schlomer, Elder Board chair Cal Kierum, and members Linda McCoy and Nathalie Poelman. We have asked each to submit a photo and write an introductory blog about who they are and why they are planning on traveling to the Congo next summer.

Linda McCoyLinda McCoy

We had the privilege several years ago of having a young lady named Nessie stay with our family. She was with the African Choir Team, which was touring area churches, bringing the Gospel and encouraging believers in the U.S. Nessie came to us from Mozambique.

The first thing Nessie said when she came into our home was, "You are so rich!" She taught us how blessed we are because our family knows the Lord and can openly worship Him. I will never forget Nessie and the permanent impression she left upon my heart.

God used Nessie to connect my heart to the people in Africa. When I heard how Elim is planning a vision trip to the Congo, I knew, after praying, that He was calling me to participate. What an incredible privilege, to see firsthand what God is doing!

He will write His message on our hearts, and then He will want us to tell His story. We have His message of love to tell those in Africa. Nessie came here. I can go there. It brings things full circle.

Three things come to mind. First of all, according to Luke 12:48, to whom "much has been given, much is required." Gordy and I have been married 36 years, raised our three wonderful children, watched them come to love the Lord, marry the ones God chose for them, and dedicate their families to Him. Our lives are rich ... because of Him.

Secondly, God wants me to step out of my comfort zone. He uses the weak of the world to show His strength (1 Corinthians 1:27), and that is certainly me! The thought of going to Africa without Gordy is huge, but so is the peace He has given us both.

Lastly, and most importantly, will you pray for us? Pray for those in the Congo who are dying of AIDS, even as I write this article. Pray for the children left alone to fend for themselves. Pray for those who are so desperately attempting to minister to broken hearts.

One life can make a difference! Jesus did. So can you.

Because of Him,

Linda McCoy
Habakkuk 1:5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home