Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wednesday Update From the Team

As you can imagine, communication with members of our Congo team (who are now scattered hither and yon throughout the Ubangi Province) is spotty at best. My best source of information so far is Facebook. Cal tells me that Facebook seems to have the best connectivity for them.

So, basically I am doing the same thing a lot of other Facebook users are doing -- scanning Facebook for updates from our team members. I am also reading Brian's blog. When I find photos and updates, I am transferring them here.

Today I found a few new items -- a Tuesday blog posting for Brian, and a new photo Cal has posted. Remember that Brian is doing youth pastor training, Dave is working at the Elikya Center, and Cal and Amanda and Elissa are at Tandala Hospital, training doctors (Cal in medical stuff and the two ladies are teaching them English).

Brian's Blog Posting: Tuesday Morning in the Congo

The trip has now gotten a little harder for the youth team. We are on our own. All the missionaries from reach global have gone to Tandala. We have been left in Gemena to do our trainings. We have two people from the CECU that are working with us. They both speak English fairly well.

Yesterday we started the first training session. We were supposed to start at 2:00 pm but did not get to the church where the training was being held until 3:30 pm. The driver must have misunderstood the guy who is making all the arrangements for our group. I was driven to the training by motorcycle while the other two guys waited for the truck to pick them up.

While on the motorcycle we drove through the market at Gemena. I saw even more poverty and a little worse than what I had previously seen. I just want to say that if I do not ride on another motorcycle in the Congo, I will be happy. The streets are packed and the roads are horrible. I have no reason to ever complain about the roads we have in the U.S.

Our first training went well. We had 128 people there. We tried to teach them an icebreaker game. I am not sure how it went over. It was funny to watch. We only were able to get through the first part of the training. Today we finish the training.

Please pray that the remainder of the training will go well. Pray that we would speak effectively in a way that the translators can interpret.

Thank you for praying. It is making a difference. Our trip has had very little go wrong. We are not used to waiting around as much as we are, but time is not a big thing in this country.

Photo Posted by Cal


Cal didn't include any caption info with this photo, but I'm assuming it is taken at Tandala Hospital, since he and Amanda and Elissa are among those pictured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home